What information should I obtain?
It is important that you seek immediate medical attention if you are seriously injured in an automobile accident. After everyone is out of danger and any medical and police help has been summoned, obtain the following:
- The full names of the drivers of all of the vehicles involved
- The driver’s license numbers and addresses of all of the drivers
- If any of the driver’s appear to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, notify police or other emergency personnel immediately
- The full names and addresses of any passengers in any of the vehicles
- The full names and addresses of any pedestrians or other parties involved
- The full name, address, and phone number of any witnesses to the accident
In addition, you should make observations and record notes about the following:
- Did any person involved in the accident report any personal injury shortly after the accident?
- Was medical assistance rendered at the scene of the accident?
- What personal injury did the injured person report? Did anyone say “I’m not hurt”?
- What was the actual location of the accident?
- In what direction were the vehicles traveling just prior to the accident?
- At what time of day did the accident occur?
- What were the weather conditions at the time of the accident?
- Was there anything “wrong” with the vehicles before the accident, such as a broken headlight or brake light?
- Was there any damage to the vehicles as a result of the accident? What parts of the vehicle were
- Who are the registered owners of the vehicles (names and addresses)?
- Were all vehicles involved in the accident insured? What are the names of the insurance companies and the policy numbers?
- Did any of the vehicles need to be towed from the scene of the accident?
- How did the accident occur?
- Did anyone accept responsibility for the accident, or make a comment such as “It was my fault, I am sorry. I was speeding / not paying attention / not wearing my glasses / distracted / tired / late for work / in a hurry / my coffee had just spilled / I should have seen you but I was on my cell phone / I’ve been taking these pills / my eyesight isn’t what it used to be after dark, etc”?
- Did the police come? If so, did they issue anyone a ticket? Which officers were present? What are their names and badge numbers?
- Was any of the drivers involved driving while working, or driving a company owned vehicle?